9/1/12

What To Do In Your Southern California Garden In September


As a landscape designer in Santa Clarita I did not appreciate that August sure was a hot one this year! I (happily) had a couple of installs during the month of August and although I do not recommend standing outdoors in 108 degree weather selecting boulders, or installing plants in 98 degree weather with the sun beating down, I am happy to say that since a lot of people are looking to water conservation  these days my plant palettes are filled with drought tolerant varieties that will endure this ever increasing heat.

I hope that we are heading into a little cooler weather, and I know that the plants concur.  The month of September is a great time to get some gardening done, and it is even better for planning and designing so we can take full advantage of the great planting weather that October and September will hold for us.

Here is a list of your September Garden Chores - with one addition... and one correction.

Please add:
Pre #1 - Plan, Plan Plan!  If you want to plant drought tolerant plants and natives, get your planning done now.  The best months are upcoming - so take advantage of the air conditioning, a refreshing iced tea, and your ideas to be prepared for your fall planting.

Correction:  Yes, I will be speaking at Green Thumb's Harvest Festival again this year but it is on September 22, 2012.  My talk will be at 10 am and I'll stay there to answer questions, walk you around the nursery or just chat until about noon.  I'm probably going to have a surprise guest so... stay tuned to find out who.  Green Thumb is located at: 23734 Newhall Avenue. Newhall, CA. 91321

Also, my monthly spot on Blog Talk Radio's Artists, Designers, and Things, Oh My!  is coming up on Tuesday September 4, 2012.  We'll be talking about History of Gardening Around the World Part III please listen in, it is always fun.

xo,
Julie

0 comments:

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP